I'm creating a butterfly each day for a year! (for a very good cause!)

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 87 ~ Matisse



I have been studying Matisse and learning so much! In the past I discounted him as overly simplistic, but I have a whole new opinion of him now. His daring use of bold primary colors, shapes and patterns revolutionized contemporary art. When Matisse was in his 80's he became very ill with cancer. While he was confined to his bed, he came up with a whole new art form: colorful paper cutouts which he would expertly shear from big pieces of brightly painted paper. I love that he kept creating right up until the very end of his life! His final project was a beautiful chapel which he designed for a nun who helped him while he was ill. I was so inspired when I saw the chapel, and I intend to visit it one day. Here's a video so you can see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0x0nFLH_U
I tried my hand at Matisse-style paper cutouts for today's butterfly.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. After seeing that video of the chapel, I also would like to visit it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY GOSH THAT VIDEO WAS BEAUTIFUL! I SHED A TEAR! THANK YOU MISS M XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete