I'm creating a butterfly each day for a year! (for a very good cause!)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 104 ~ Sticks and Stones


What do you do when someone you love knocks you totally off-balance with words that feel like hard slaps? You know, the kind of words that leave you feeling blue, like there’s something wrong with you?

What do you do?

How do you get through?

There was a time not so long ago when a situation like this would have had me running for a big old bottle of red wine. Last night I wrestled with that temptation big time. It’s been 6 weeks, and I really miss it. I pray a lot to get through one more day. I paint in bright colors to cheer me up, and say kind words to myself to ease the pain. This rock is a reminder that no matter what anyone else thinks of me: I Love Me! (If it makes me seem weird, so be it. I’m not here to win any popularity contests!)

It's tough and somewhat scary to admit these things...

We are all tender, fragile, and so easily hurt. Sometimes we hold onto those hurts for years and years. I prefer to let them float away on a river of my tears. My heart has been broken dozens of times, and each time, it just keeps getting bigger and wiser.

But first, my heart must heal yet again….

Sticks and stones may break my bones

But words can break my heart.

2 comments: