I'm creating a butterfly each day for a year! (for a very good cause!)

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 100 ~ Aunt Claire



It seemed fitting to have my Aunt Claire represent my 100th butterfly for this project, since she's nearly 100 years old! She is the mother of Ursula (butterfly #99) and lives in Germany. But she used to live in Adrian, Michigan and was married to my dad's older brother, Ruskin. When I was growing up, we spent holidays with them. I think of all of our relatives, my dad felt most comfortable with them. He could be his eccentric self around them, and be accepted as unique instead of weird. He liked to do things the old way: making maple syrup from maple sap, making soap, growing heirloom veggies, etc. Back then, everyone thought he was quite an odd bird. (even me, I must admit!) But now I find myself trying many of his hobbies, like canning and making wine.
It's hard to believe that my Uncle Ruskin died almost 20 years ago. Aunt Claire moved back to Germany, and I haven't seen her since. I still remember her voice perfectly tho. It's funny, the details we remember about a person.
I know her outfit doesn't match, but I went with it anyway. I copied one of my dad's wool scarves to make her slacks. It's not our family plaid, but I hope it will make her happy. My dad loved his plaid wool scarves, so I hope it will bring her back happy memories of him, as it did for me too!

1 comment: