I'm creating a butterfly each day for a year! (for a very good cause!)

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 35 ~ Hobo Lee



Today's butterfly is dedicated to my good friend and pen pal extraordinaire: Hobo Lee. I met Lee over a love of trains. I have always wanted to try hopping a train. I was watching a movie about train hopping many years ago called "Catching Out." It was a great movie, and Lee happened to be in it. He really struck me a person I'd love to meet, so I wrote him a letter. Many months passed, and then one day I found a thick decorated envelope in my P.O. Box. It contained a 13 page letter from Lee and photos of his train hopping trip to Europe. That was 6 years ago, and we've been friends ever since.
As you can see, Lee loves to wear black. We've also had many discussions about duct tape and all the stuff you can use it for. Lee hates gray duct tape, but loves black duct tape, so I made his wings out of black duct tape.
Here's the trailer for the movie: "Catching Out." You can see Lee toward the end, dressed in black and talking about his love of train hopping.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you talking about Hobo Lee. How neat that you made a butterfly out of him. I'm beginning to hope you don't send all your butterflies away after a year. You are going to have the most wonderful collection in the world, full of memories, and I think you should keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI I am one of the many hundereds of old friends of Lee's i lost track of him around the time of that europe trip (we had a short trip together in spain) I would love to get back in touch with him, if you have his contact information or next time you write him could you let him know that shreya is trying to get in touch with him! i can be found at shreyabollock@yahoo.com if you could send me his contact information that would be great

    ReplyDelete